Sunday, March 8, 2009

Top 5 Movies at the Box Office 3/08/09

Okay so this is kind of a copout I will admit. But I found it interesting to find out that movie attendance is up by 14% this year, and this is the first time I have been to the theaters in 2009. I of course went and saw Watchmen. Which after going back and rereading the comic book proves to be a faithful and fantastic adaptation of the original work.

#5 - Paul Blart: Mall Cop $4.1 Million (which is hilarious to me because the trailer for Seth Rogen's mall cop movie is making the rounds and no one thought this movie had a chance. It was #1 it's opening weekend and still in the top 5 weeks later)

#4 - Slumdog Millionaire $6.9 Million. Talk about an Oscar push.

#3 - Taken $7.5 Million. Liam Neeson still pulling in some dough for this movie.

#2 - Tyler Perry's Madea Goes to Jail $8.8 Million. I swear this guy sold his soul to the devil to strike a cord with so many movie goers. He just keeps putting out hit movie that NO ONE I know has seen after hit movie. For the last 4 years I have asked myself how this modern Ernest Goes to Camp stays successful.

#1 - Watchmen $55.7 Million. Almost three hours and yet it still brought in huge numbers. Honestly if the movie was 30 minutes shorter, it could have brought in another 20 million IMO.


Notice anything strange about this list? None of the horror movies from the last few weeks like the Friday the 13th remake, no real romantic comedy (#6 was He's Just Not That Into You), and no Jonas Brothers in 3D. Could it be that the tween's are outgrowing these guys?

No comments:

Post a Comment