Saturday, December 5, 2009

Top 5 Christmas Movies

Okay so this should be interesting. Doing a Top 5 Christmas movies. These are my favorite movies, and I don't necessarily watch them only at Christmas. These are for the most part movies that take place at Christmas or are about Christmas itself. Since I love comedies, they dominate my Top 5. But let's explore some movies that did not make it and may surprise you that they are about Christmas. Did you know that the first Rambo movie took place during Christmas? Die Hard and Lethal Weapon both do as well, in fact both Die Hard and Die Hard 2 take place at Christmas. And did you remember that Gremlins takes place at Christmas? Or that almost every Harry Potter movie features the kids on holiday at Christmas? And you won't find The Christmas Story, Miracle on 34th Street, or It's a Wonderful Life on my list either.

#5 Scrooged - I love Bill Murray movies, and love love love the modern take on A Christmas Carol. A Dickens classic indeed.

#4 Elf - What can I say, this movie has GROWN on me. First time I saw, I thought it was funny and cute, but not much else. But I dare you to walk around the Christmas season and not quote this movie. "SANTA!...I know him."

#3 Just Friends - A modern classic featuring Ryan Reynolds and a hilarious Anna Faris. The scene when Anna Faris's character storms the house and destroys all the Christmas decorations? Melts my heart.

#2 Home Alone - call me sentimental but I love this movie from 1990. My mom and I waited in line for over an hour to see this classic. I was 12 at the time. And I love me a great John Hughes film. Speaking of which.

#1 National Lampoons Christmas Vacation - I am not the biggest NL fan, and some of the Griswold films are awful. I used to love European Vacation, what happened? Between the classic Chevy Chase comedy and the telling of a Father who wants everything to be perfect, to the poor yuppy neighbors who get picked on the whole film, all the way down to the music and atmosphere of a Chicago Christmas, this is my movie. Forget Christmas Story and little Ralphie. Put this movie on repeat and I may not change the channel for days.

No comments:

Post a Comment