Thursday, December 31, 2009

Top 5 Movies of the 2000's

Yay movies! The 2000's were really good to us at the movie theaters. Especially if your into fantasy novels, boy wizards, comic book superheroes, and charming geek movies. In no particular order here are my Top 5 Movies of the 2000's.

#5 Old School - While there are many other movies in this category of man-child comedies, I think Old School does it best for me. Plus I could only choose one, and still make room for my other favorites. Movies like Wedding Crashers, Step Brothers, Knocked Up, Superbad, The Hangover and 40 Year Old Virgin. In fact you are really falling into one camp or another when picking because you have the Will Ferrell/Vince Vaughn/John C Reilly/Wilson Bros camp and then the Judd Apatow and crew camp. All great movies. But for me Old School had everything I needed to laugh, cringe, cry, and ultimately laugh again. There is still talk of them making a sequel, but really I don't need one. Plus this movie introduced us to The Dan Band.

#4 The Incredibles - Unlike the big screen version of the Fantastic Four which ultimately disappointed, Pixar brought us yet another charming, funny, endearing, and action packed animated adventure when introducing us to Bob Incredible and his family. The thing that Pixar does well, is never sacrificing character. Because of that The Incredibles gave you everything you needed in a satisfying adventure. This is one movie that Pixar should definitely franchise into another picture.

#3 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - I choose this third Harry movie because I feel like this was one of the best in series if not the best. It creates an amazing movie while not sacrificing much from the source material. It was also a darker Potter movie then the two that came before it. Between books and movies, the Harry Potter franchise has dominated the last 10 years. To think in 2000 I laughed at my girlfriends roommate for waiting in line to buy this book. 10 years later I have read them all, own them all, and cannot wait for the last 2 movies to come out.

#2 Spider Man 2 - I never would have thought 10 years ago that so many Marvel characters would make it to the big screen, and in some of the best movies of the decade. The X-Men were good, Fantastic Four was okay, The Hulk struck twice, Daredevil, Iron Man, and even little Peter Parker, Spider Man. While the first movie was awesome, the sequel is even better. To some it is one of the best movies of all time, not just a comic book movie. And ultimately I chose SP2 over The Dark Knight or Batman Begins, because emotionally I connected more with SP2. The scene on the subway when he saves the train and the New Yorkers lift him up was inspiring. Plus Doc Ock was done well. Really well.

#1 The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings - Hey another movie franchise adapted from a book or comic. Go figure. LOTR smashed it's way into America this last decade with three EPIC movies. Seriously try watching all three extended DVD's in a day. You can't. It's like 16 hours of movie. And I chose the first movie of the trilogy because it was the one that most blew me away. While Two Towers and Return of the King are awesome as well, the first one really took it for me. Plus it reminded me of some of my fun D&D sessions as a kid. Playing dice and paper adventures with my friends. It was like seeing my adventures on the big screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment