Thursday, November 19, 2009

And now the news...with YOU!

Day 19 of the Blog a Day. Today brings me to an interesting trend, where normal people (that's you and I) are becoming more reliable sources of news, then the actual news. Or that we are becoming the news itself. Have you watched CNN lately? Or some shows on ESPN? They actively follow their Twitter accounts and Twitter followers for up to the minute opinions about the latest news stories. Or what about the rise of websites like Perez Hilton? Normal people with an opinion and free time on their hands, surfing the web, packaging information for you and then delivering it. Kind of like "The News" does. Except have you watched the commercials for the news? I especially hate seeing Carlos Ceccheto or Barbara Lee-Edwards pop up in commercials during my shows like CSI Las Vegas and The Mentalist. Nothing against them personally, its just that the local CBS commercial is the last commercial in each set before returning to the program and the news they promote is always "scary" or intimidating. Local news sucks. And it's even worse seeing commercials on Fox or NBC promoting the You Local bullshit they are trying to pass off. As if me uploading videos to their website of crash scenes or victims or anything like that is healthy behavior. The whole thing sickens me, while at the same time I don't even watch these shows. Ugh. The future of news is us, and we have a lot of responsibility to live up to. "This just in, I blew my nose while watching Modern Family!"

No comments:

Post a Comment