Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Happy Veterans Day


Day 11 of the Blog a Day. Today we celebrate and honor those that have chosen to serve our great Country and to those that gave the ultimate sacrifice of their lives so that the rest of us can enjoy our freedoms. Thank you. I give thanks to my childhood friend Justin O'Donahoe and his family. Justin lost his life serving in the Army in Afghanistan, and his brother Kyle serves in the Navy as a pilot. I give thanks to my dad who passed away a few years ago, he spent many years working in the Navy on submarines. And those sub guys will tell you, it's no picnic. And thank you to everyone serving in the armed services.

On another note, today is the three year wedding anniversary of my friends and former roommates Jen and Noel Jordan. These two crazy kids asked if I would marry them, and sure enough when faced with the monumental responsibility of the occasion and the pure love these two shared for each other, I could not help but start crying towards the end of the ceremony that I was conducting. You know all those public speaking nightmares you have ever had? You know the one where you appear naked in front of everyone and cannot remember the words you need to say? I got you beat, son!

And today is also my Grandfathers birthday. He would have been 98 today. Or at least that's what I remember my mom telling me this morning. And I always thought my Grandfather fought in WWII. Turns out he did not. My mom tells me that he ended up being stationed here at home during the war. Consider my bubble popped.

No comments:

Post a Comment