Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Out of Work? Network!

Day 17 of the Blog a Day brings me to job hunting. I have talked about job hunting on this blog before, and typically my outlook is grim. I have been "looking" for that next step in my career for the last 2 1/2 years and along the way I have been expanding my network of contacts in the San Diego market as well as elsewhere. While I have not found that next plateau in my career, I know for sure I am still taking each step of the stairs one and sometimes two at a time and moving forward.

Now in job searching these days, many job search newsletters and advice columns will have you believe that the key to a new job is to network. Now while I believe that to be 50% true, I will also say that it depends on your network. You see I work mostly in the entertainment and event planning fields. Well over the last year I could name off roughly 20-30 people who have not only been laid off, but who are also STILL looking for work like I am. So what do you do if your network is either out of work, or fearing that this Holiday season they will see more layoffs? I think you expand your network even further. Make phone calls to people that you don't normally, reach out to old friends, and reconnect with others. I don't think that networking is the only answer because I think there has to be jobs out there, but the more people that you reach out to, the more people who are helping YOU find a job. If not actively, then at least they may call you when they hear of something. Try it. It's like a great social experiment. And if you hear the phone ringing or have a new email, it might just be from me. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment